70 percent of Franklin students receive financial aid. As an institution, Franklin offers scholarships based on academic merit and financial need. Additionally, students may receive aid from various external programs based on citizenship, need, and other factors. Together we create a financial aid package and carefully guide you through your financing options to help you afford your education. Each year, financial aid applicants will receive annual award information through the FUS online financial aid system, which will show the anticipated disbursement date, typically half of the award will be disbursed for each semester.

Franklin University Switzerland Institutional Scholarships

These scholarships are awarded based upon academic merit or demonstrated financial need and are considered “free” money because they do not require repayment. These discounts are renewable annually provided the student meets the designated requirements. There are two types of institutional awards: 

Merit Scholarships

Merit scholarships are awarded upon admittance to the University and are based upon academic achievement. Every applicant is automatically reviewed for merit scholarships, but priority is given to students who apply for admission by our December 1 deadline. After December 1 students may be considered for merit scholarships, but only if funds are available. Notice of the merit award amount is included with the official admission letter. 

Financial Aid/Need-based Scholarships

Need-based scholarships are based upon a family's demonstrated financial need. We take into consideration household income, assets, family size, the number of students attending universities simultaneously, and other factors. These awards are sent out on a rolling basis after admission, and after the FAFSA – Free Application for Federal Student Aid (www.StudentAid.gov) is completed (for U.S. students). Please be sure to add our federal school code to your FAFSA; G11683. Students who are not U.S. citizens or residents complete a similar institutional application on our student aid portal, Net Partner and are awarded based on the same criteria.

U.S. Federal Loans

Available only to students who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens, Federal Direct Loan amounts increase each academic year as students progress through their degree programs and remain enrolled at least half-time. Please note students must remain enrolled full-time for Visa compliance. Students enrolled in the following partnership programs: study abroad, summer program, collaborative research agreements, and executive education are not eligible for federal aid through Franklin University Switzerland. Students enrolled in the Emerson joint bachelor or master's program may apply for a federal loan while attending Franklin University Switzerland. 

For subsidized loans, interest does not accrue while a student is enrolled, and during the first six months after graduation. Unsubsidized loans start accruing interest when they have been disbursed (paid out).

Entrance Counseling and Exit Counseling

Students should familiarize themselves with the Federal Student Aid website to fully understand the federal aid process and federal student loan rights responsibilities. Students will also see messages about federal student loans through the online financial aid system.

First-time students borrowing a loan through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program must complete entrance counseling before a loan can be disbursed. Entrance counseling is a comprehensive information session on the terms and conditions of the loan and the borrower’s rights and responsibilities. First-time borrowers are notified of this requirement upon financial aid packaging through the FUS online financial aid system and will complete this requirement through the Federal Student Aid website. Students may also calculate a loan repayment schedule here.

Exit counseling is also required for Direct loan student borrowers who are graduating, leaving school, or dropping below half-time enrollment to complete within 30 days of leaving FUS. Students are notified through their FUS email address to complete this requirement through the Federal Student Aid website. Upon completion, The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) will be updated with their personal information to be shared with the loan servicer. Borrowers may use the Loan Simulator provided by Federal Student Aid to estimate their repayment options.

Master Promissory Note

Federal loan borrowers must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) annually before receiving federal loans. The MPN is a legally binding agreement to repay your loan to the US Department of Education. You may complete the MPN online at Federal Student Aid.

Interest Rates for Direct Loans First Disbursed on or After July 1, 2023, and Before July 1, 2024

Loan Type

Borrower Type

Fixed Interest Rate

Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans



Direct Unsubsidized Loans

Graduate or Professional


Direct PLUS Loans

Parents and Graduate or Professional Students


All interest rates shown in the chart above are fixed rates. A fixed rate will not change.

The chart below shows the loan fees for Direct Subsidized Loans, Direct Unsubsidized Loans, and Direct PLUS Loans first disbursed on or after Oct. 1, 2019.

Loan Fees for Direct Subsidized and Direct Unsubsidized Loans

First Disbursement Date

Loan Fee

On or after 10/1/20 and before 10/1/24


On or after 10/1/19 and before 10/1/20


Loan Fees for Direct PLUS Loans

First Disbursement Date

Loan Fee

On or after 10/1/20 and before 10/1/24                                                       


On or after 10/1/19 and before 10/1/20


Loans first disbursed prior to Oct. 1, 2019, have different loan fees.


The following is a breakdown of the loans and amounts:

Dependent Undergraduates


Initial Subsidized Direct Loan

Additional Unsubsidized Direct Loan

Combined (maximum) Levels

1st year  (less than 30 credits)




2nd year  (30-59 credits)




3rd and 4th year

(at least 60 credits)




Independent Undergraduates and Dependent Undergraduates where the parent is ineligible for Parent PLUS loan

  Initial Subsidized Direct Loan Additional Unsubsidized Direct Loan Combined (maximum) Levels

1st year




2nd year




3rd and 4th year




Aggregate Limits



Sub and Unsub Combined

Dependent Undergrads



Independent Undergrads



Graduate Students




Graduate students

Not applicable


Aggregate Limit (includes all federal loans received for undergraduate study)



Private Loans

Sallie Mae Student Loans is a financial services company that provides private educational loans to U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Sallie Mae and FUS are subject to the US Federal Reserve regulations on private educational lenders. Before borrowing a private loan, students and parents may qualify for a William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan, which may have more favorable terms and rates than a private student loan. The loan application can be found at Sallie Mae Student Loans. The loan will be in the student’s name and most students will need a credit-worthy co-signer to apply with them. Interest rates vary based on the co-signer’s credit history. The student may borrow up to the full cost of education including tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, transportation and living expenses, less any other financial aid that the student receives. The cost of attendance for each student can be found on our student aid portal, Net Partner, and should help guide the family as to how much they will need to borrow.

Please note that Sallie Mae is the only private lender that will provide educational loans for students attending an international university not located in the U.S. Therefore, we do not have a preferred lender list.

Parents may also consider alternatives such as home equity loans or borrowing against insurance or retirement funds, and should consult their bank or a financial advisor before doing so.

U.S. Veterans Benefits

As a United States veteran, survivor or dependent of a veteran, you may be eligible for one or more of the following education benefit programs:

The VA has a GI Bill® Comparison tool to help you decipher your educational benefits. To secure these funds you will want to complete the Certificate of Eligibility by contacting the US Department of Veterans Affairs.  Once you have your Certificate of Eligibility you will want to submit it to our School Certifying Official, Kathleen Montague at kmontague@fus.edu.