Gap year program in Switzerland
A gap year offers high school graduates the opportunity to explore interests before starting college. It is a semester or year of experiential learning meant to deepen one's practical, professional and personal awareness
GAP YEAR APPLICATION DEADLINE
For students requiring a visa for Switzerland, we recommend submitting your application for Gap Year by June 15 for the Fall Semester, and by November 15 for the Spring Semester. For students not requiring a visa, Franklin will be accepting applications on a rolling basis throughout the summer. For potential tuition fee reductions, the priority deadlines are March 15 and November 1, respectively. You may study at Franklin with the Gap Year status for a maximum of two consecutive semesters.
HOW TO APPLY TO A GAP YEAR
All Gap Year applicants are required to submit:
- A completed undergraduate Application Form and a non-refundable application fee of CHF 90 or $90. To pay by credit card or for more information on ways to pay, please see Payment Options.
- A personal statement, including highlights from your curriculum vitae, academic and other personal interests.
- Official transcripts and school grade results from other institutions previously attended in the last three years. A separate transcript must be sent directly by each institution, regardless of whether transfer credit is requested. Certified translations must be included for transcripts not written in English, Italian, French, German, or Spanish.
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, professor, foreign study advisor or Dean, or two letters from former employers if you have not attended school for more than one semester prior to the time of application.
- Applicants for whom English is not a native language, are not fluent or have not been educated in English, are required to submit their Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score. Alternatively, other internationally recognized test of English language proficiency, e.g. the International English - Language Testing System (IELTS), or Duolingo English Test (DET) are likewise accepted.
Not specifically requested, but students can additionally submit Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Test (ACT) score if applicable. For Gap Year, we require a score of 90 on the TOEFL, a score of 6.5 on the IELTS or a score of 110 on the DET.
TUITION & FEES
Tuition and fees for Gap Year are the same* as the tuition for the first year Undergraduate program.
*Swiss/EU/EEA tuition is not applicable to the Gap Year program.
If you are admitted to Franklin University Switzerland as a Gap Year student, an enrollment confirmation deposit of CHF 500 or $500 is required by May 1 for the Fall Semester and December 1 for the Spring Semester. If applying to Gap Year after these above-mentioned dates, new deposit deadlines will be scheduled accordingly. To pay by credit card or for more information on ways to pay, please see Payment Options.
GAP YEAR IN SWITZERLAND
Franklin University Switzerland provides a cross-cultural and multinational environment that inspires students to engage the world. Whether you are considering a gap year in Switzerland directly after high school or during university, participating in the gap year program is a great opportunity to learn through new experiences, grow beyond your comfort zone, and get out of your ordinary routine.
If you want to travel the world, meet new people, and experience new adventures Franklin University Switzerland offers a one-of-a-kind opportunity. A diverse set of academic challenges and a collection of multicultural events, clubs, and activities will help you grow your international competence and confidence. Additionally during the FUS signature program, Academic Travel, you will learn and experience a new country for two weeks every semester.