This message contains the latest local restrictions, entry requirements, vaccine booster sign-ups, and things to keep in mind as you prepare for winter break.
In this general context of tighter public health requirements, following proper mask protocol on-campus is more important than ever. Please continue to wear a mask when in a room with other people and when walking through campus grounds.
Please note that starting tomorrow, Saturday, December 4, Lugano is reintroducing mask requirements in its oldtown area and at Christmas markets.
More generally, the Swiss federal government has issued new restrictions for controlling the spread of the coronavirus valid through January 24, 2022.
Switzerland is removing all countries from its quarantine list, but implementing new entry requirements for all travelers, including fully vaccinated and recovered individuals. (These requirements do not apply to cross-border commuters.)
Thus, also effective Saturday, December 4:
- All individuals entering Switzerland must take a PCR test before traveling;
- All individuals entering Switzerland must take a second test (PCR or rapid antigen test) within 4-7 days of entering Switzerland.
Effective Monday, December 6:
- Mask requirements are extended to all indoor venues where a Covid certificate is required. When this is not possible:
- Restaurants can only serve food and drinks to seated customers;
- Indoor sporting events where masks cannot provide sufficient protection will need to record the contact information of those attending;
- COVID certificates are required at all indoor events including sporting and cultural activities. Indoor event organizers may opt to limit access to only vaccinated or recovered individuals (choosing a so-callled “2G” policy);
- Certificates are also required at all outdoor events with over 300 people;
- Covid certificates are strongly recommended at private indoor gatherings with more than 11 participants;
- The validity of rapid antigen tests will be reduced to 24 hours (from the original 48 hours). PCR tests continue to be valid for 72 hours.
Good news for those of you staying in Lugano over winter break: Ticino has opened COVID booster signups for all individuals over 16 who received a second dose over 6 months ago.
You can sign up for your booster shot here: https://www4.ti.ch/dss/dsp/covid19/vaccinazione/vaccinazione-e-prenotazione/
For students returning home, we strongly recommend getting your booster shot in the same country as your full vaccination.
Finally, for students travelling to the United States over winter break, please keep in mind that the U.S has also reduced the length of test validity. We encourage all students leaving for winter break to stay up to date with their destination country's entry requirements and to make any required testing arrangements upon return to Lugano in advance through the following link: https://www.onedoc.ch/en/covid-testing-center/lugano
As we enter exam week, please continue to wear a mask, wash your hands, physically distance yourself from others, and ventilate indoor spaces.